Please find below our Blogs from our investigations for more in depth reports of investigations please visit our Reports Page
On a warm and pleasant evening whilst others thoughts turned to spirits in the pub, LPS were out looking for spirits of a different kind in the area of Brogborough.
This location included the ruin of a 17th Century Roundhouse farmhouse, and more modern buildings like a barn and motte and pathway. The last time LPS visited this location was 2nd March 2012 and the reports from that night can be found on the LPS website.
Poltergeist activity has been recorded at this location on past investigations and whilst inside undertaking a experiment the team heard a loud bang inside the room and the sound of something like a rock or stone hitting the floor. Of course in order to identify the source instead of just assuming everything is paranormal. The team did find two pigeons in the remains of the roof and a mouse scurrying around but nothing that could produce what the team had heard.
The team using new equipment for the first time were able to observe two stick figures appear on a screen directly in front of them. However this only happened when one of the team spoke and not when others spoke. All team members agreed that this location requires further investigation.
EVP and Olivus experiments followed which are still to be analysed along with film and photographs taken and reports will also follow shortly…..
There is a saying in the paranormal community that the smaller the investigation team the more likely you are to encounter paranormal activity as there is less contamination of the investigation location. Taking this approach into the paranormal field LPS undertook and investigation of Rougham that included the church and surrounding area and of course the airbase itself.
St Mary Church Rougham
After arriving in the area a little bit earlier than expected gave members of the team an unexpected opportunity to visit St Mary Church which extends over a large area.
The local Church is Saint Mary’s, a perpendicular church dating from the 14th century, that was partly rebuilt in 1913. It contains a number of monuments to the Yelverton family. The church itself is well worth a visit in daytime (see photographs) even if it is a bit off track from the rest of the village.
Rougham Airfield has over the years shrunk in size with large areas now home to a new industrial estate. However the team were able to find a number of old buildings in this area that clearly once belonged to the airfield (see photographs) that enhanced any investigation of the Tower and buildings themselves.
Built during 1941 and 1941 with three intersecting runways one of which was 2000 yards long and aligned from the west to the east. The airfield included living sites dispersed in the local woodland to house 3000 personal (see photographs). Mostly Americans flying bombers such as B-17,s B-52,s and B-26’s. On May 29th 1943 a B-26 crashed onto the airfield killing the crew and damaging a hanger.
After the war the main tower became a family home and the concrete areas of the base were broken up and the outer building become part of the industrial estate but they are still worth a look if you visit the location. The T2 hangers are still used for storage and formed part of the LPS investigation area.
Using a smaller team LPS firstly walked around the location in order to identify areas where members could pick up any residual or other energy. The tower seemed to have an atmosphere that made ones hair stand up on your back and a feeling of being watched. The team then played Glenn Miller music in one of the rooms in order to try and get some energy going. Trigger objects were place around the building but these did not produce any results.
The old style séance produced a few names of note including “Henry” and members of the team experienced ice cold air coming past them although all the doors were shut. Sounds could be heard coming from below in the lower rooms.
At the end of the first investigation of the main room in the tower the team moved downstairs inviting spirits to follow them down. Two of the members were setting up a static camcorder to film the stairs and as they looked up the stairs they watched as a ball of light was coming down the stairs towards them. Unfortunately as so often happens on investigation when activity begins the camera was not running as the team were not expecting an encounter. Another member of the team would also observe half of a solid person in uniform going across the top of the stairwell.
Other scares of the night included a monster spider on a display case just sitting there in the dark during an investigation of the two buildings nearby. LPS undertook a number of experiments on the night and once analysed the reports and any audio or media will be uploaded to the website. Watch this space……..
This LPS investigation which was well attended certainly started with a bang and the fireworks just kept coming. While most, would automatically head for St Peters Church and its famous haunting. LPS went first to the remains of Tewin house to search for the ghost of Lady Sabine who is said to walk the area.
Unfortunately further historical research for Lady Sabine has revealed not very much about her. Standing at the location of Tewin House the team began with a séance and the name Rebecca was picked up. However, not long into the séance a local resident decided to put on a firework display ending the séance with a bang.
The team then moved to St Peters Church which is a reportedly haunted location and is mentioned in Betty Puckeridge’s “Haunted Hertfordshire” among other well respected author’s books which mention the grave of Lady Anne Grimston (1780) who not believing in an afterlife during her earthly days scoffed that trees would ruin her tomb if she was wrong. Sure enough her tomb is now ruined by a very large tree that has split the stone open. Another legend has it that on the stroke of midnight on new year’s eve the devil will appear.
LPS has visited this location many times and again this location did not disappoint with a black shadow figure of a man observed walking through two trees who then promptly disappeared and another member who was physically tapped on the back of his shoulder and went he turned around there was no one there. Sounds of footsteps by unseen people including two young girls one of whom was thought to be about six years of age and another which could have been something else posing as a child.
For this investigation in the churchyard, the team then broke up into two smaller groups to cover more ground and undertake a number of experiments and further séances. Both groups encountered experiences that baffled members.
When the teams gathered together as one group towards the end of the night for a EVP/SPIRIT box session near to the grave of Lady Anne Grimstone. They appeared to be getting some positive answers to questions being asked by members, quite a few different names and a number of different sounds were heard by members whilst this was taking place and these require further analysis.
Nellie Rault Murder Investigation
This was the first time that LPS had investigated this case and our second murder mystery of the year.
The investigation began with a general search for the location of where the murder took place in Wilstead woods which consisted of exploring paths and locations where the team did encounter paranormal activity in particular one location that definitely requires further investigation for the following reasons.
There is one particular area where the sense of death was very strong and although sheltered form the wind this area retains a cold temperature as recorded on various temperature tools used during the investigation.
Debunked items included lights seen in high up in the trees but we managed to debunk these as distant street lights and the fact that the team had walked uphill in the darkness
We were not able to debunk a woman’s voice clearly heard by three members of the team right next to us on the path and a strong sweet scent that came into the team and was then followed by a solid looking mist that manifested within the circle of team members before disappearing. We explored all options for the cause of this including somebody sitting in the wood and vaping nearby but were no able to debunk this.
The team then moved to the church where Nelle is buried but despite the use of technology and other methods of paranormal investigation the cemetery and grave did not yield and further information and the investigation ended. The story is now taken up by Liz Walton.
Nellie’s Story By Liz Walton 89 years ago, on 9th May, 1919 a young girl from Jersey serving with Queen Mary’s Army Auxiliary Corps (QMAAC) was murdered in woods near an army camp in Bedfordshire. The crime has never been solved. Nellie Rault was born in 1898, the daughter of Jacques Rault, a saddler of 4 Weston Villas, St Helier, Jersey, and his wife Anne Elizabeth.
The 1901 Jersey census shows Nellie Florence Ruby Rault age 3 living at Gordon House, St Aubin’s Road along with her mother, Anne Elizabeth Rault, married, age 32, tailoress, listed as head of household, Annie Frances Rault, age 11, Adelena Maud Rault, age 8, and May Emeline Rault, age 5, daughters, all born in St Helier, Jersey. Anne Rault married John W. Bewhay, of Clifton Cottage, St Aubins Road, St Helier at some time between 1901 and 1919.
According to the 1901 Channel Islands census he was a widower age 45, born in St Martin, and his occupation was plasterer. The only other Bewhay on that census is George, age 19, born in St Helier, who was with the Devonshire Regiment in St Peter’s Barracks. 3/20602 Private Bewhay, a nephew of John W Bewhay, was killed in action at the Somme on 1st July, 1916 (Editor’s Note: He is buried in the Devonshire Cemetery near Mametz).
In 1917, 19 year old Nellie joined the newly formed Women’s Auxiliary Army Corps (WAAC), after having served in the Women’s Legion. The Women’s Legion was raised by Lady Londonderry in 1915, initially to provide cooks for the New Army. Its members transferred to the WAAC on its formation. WAACs (as the ladies were known) did not have full military status but they wore uniform, were officially part of the British Army and worked under the War Office.
In April 1917, 20425 Worker Nellie Rault was posted to Haynes Park Royal Engineers Signals Service camp, located in the grounds of a stately home in Bedfordshire. Nellie worked as a cook in the Officer’s Mess and was described as being a cheerful, respectable girl. She was less than 5 ft tall, dark and “good looking”, “a sturdily built young woman of a bright and happy disposition, and a great favourite with all with whom she came into contact”. She was said to be a “home loving girl”,1 who kept in close contact with all of her sisters and visited her family in Jersey regularly. Her last visit was at Christmas in 1918.
She returned to Haynes Park on New Year’s Day 1919, having recently signed up for a further year with what was by then the QMAAC. Four months after her return to England, Nellie Rault was murdered in Wilstead Wood, Beds. She was last seen alive at about 3.30 pm on Friday, 9th May but was not missed until roll call at 9.30 the next morning. On the following day search parties were organised but her body was not found until the afternoon of Monday, 12th May. She had been stabbed several times in the chest and back, and attempts had been made to hide the body under bundles of cut undergrowth in woodland about 150 yards outside the camp gates.
Nellie’s Funeral Cortege (Courtesy of the Ampthill and District News) Nellie’s funeral took place on Wednesday, 14th May at Haynes Parish Church, with full military honours. Her coffin went to the church on a Royal Engineers cable wagon, covered with the Union flag and topped with huge cross of flowers from her colleagues. The lengthy procession was led by the RE Regimental Band. Her mother in Jersey had been informed of the tragedy by telegram but was not able to attend, presumably because of the time scale. The chief mourners were her uncle, Mr Tarbet and Miss Hickson who was in charge of the QMAAC contingent at Haynes Park.
The Jersey Evening Post of 1 The Ampthill and District News, May 17 1919. May, 1919 features a letter which Mrs Bewhay received from Queen Mary, stating that: “The Queen has heard from the headquarters of the Queen Mary’s Army Auxiliary Corps of your daughter’s fine record of good behaviour and splendid work since her enrolment, and Her Majesty cannot help hoping that the knowledge that your daughter in her short life was able to render such honourable service to the Corps may be some consolation to you in your bereavement.” The inquest into Nellie’s death opened on Wednesday, 21st May and over a period of four days evidence was heard from work colleagues and local residents, as well as specialist witnesses such as the doctor who performed the post mortem.
Meanwhile CSM Montague Cecil Keith Hepburn, of the Royal Engineers, Haynes Park had been arrested on Tuesday, 13th May, charged with her alleged murder and remanded in custody. He attended the inquest but declined to give evidence at any stage. The Coroner, in his summing up, noted that the crime was not premeditated and that he did not want the jury to be influenced by the fact that Hepburn had been arrested by the police. He also mentioned Hepburn’s popularity in the camp, and his “long and honourable career” in the army. The official wording of the final verdict was that Nellie had been “…brutally murdered by being stabbed to the heart by some person or persons unknown”. CSM Hepburn had been out with Nellie on previous occasions and they had danced together at the YMCA Hut on the evening before she died. He had also arranged to meet her on the day of her death. He was described as “a well set up man of somewhat taciturn appearance… wearing the ribbons of the Military Medal and the 1914-18 Star”, “on his right arm he wears four chevrons”.2 14149 Sergeant Montague Hepburn, 2nd (HQ) Signals Company, Royal Engineers, had had a distinguished military career.
His Medal Index card shows that he had been awarded the standard trio of Service Medals, plus the Oak Leaf Clasp (Mentioned in Dispatches3 ) and Rose which means that he had been under fire as early as 1914. He had also been awarded the Decoration Militaire avec Croix de Guerre by the Belgian authorities4 . The 1891 census has Hepburn living with his parents Walter, a commercial clerk, and Alice, at 13 Garfield Road, Battersea in London. By 1901, when he was 11 years old he was an inmate of the West London Poor Law School at 3 Supplement to The London Gazette, 18 May 1917, p. 4880. 4 Supplement to The London Gazette, 24 October 1919, p. 12998. Ashford, in Staines, Middlesex. No parents are listed, and his place of birth is given as unknown.
Children brought up in Poor Law schools were usually either paupers or orphans, and usually went into domestic service or the Armed Forces on leaving school. Hepburn was to spend his entire adult life in the Army. When charged by the police with Nellie’s murder, Hepburn is reported to have said “I can say that I am innocent – quite innocent. A mistake has been made.” The trial evidence was lengthy, confused and often conflicting and much was made of whether Hepburn was wearing puttees or leggings, whether two schoolboys could have heard the attack (one of them was the son of an old Regular Army colleague of Hepburn’s), whether Hepburn had travelled on a particular lorry into Bedford and exactly who had or had not seen Hepburn at various places and times.
After two formal remands the Bedford Divisional Court assembled on Friday for a magisterial hearing against Hepburn, who was charged with murdering Nellie Rault “feloniously, wilfully and with malice aforethought.” However instead of following the expected course, the Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions, Mr Sims, made a statement to the effect that “The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has carefully considered the evidence thus far obtained in the case and has arrived at the conclusion that the best interests of justice would not be served by immediately proceeding further with this inquiry”. Directions had been given for further police investigations but in the meantime Hepburn was discharged and the case dismissed. The CID was called in on 7th June, but officers were unhappy that it had been left so late as the inquest had concluded and the body been buried by then.
However an enquiry took place under Superintendent Wensley, who reported to the Director of Public Prosecutions in July, 1919. The DPP’s response to this stated that “…upon the evidence available it is not probable that Hepburn would be convicted of wilful murder if he were to be charged with this offence.” However the case notes go on to say that “I regret to have been obliged to come to this decision because I entertain a strong personal opinion as to the identity of the person who committed the murder”. Hepburn’s alibis, his only real defence, were also totally discredited. National and local newspapers in Jersey and Bedfordshire had made much of the murder and subsequent trial, and interest was rekindled on 10th February, 1924, when the News of the World carried a “cool, calculated and detailed confession” of Nellie’s murder. This was reported to come from an anonymous writer who called himself “Frenchy”.
The Montreal Police had also received letters from a Mr P Peter, c/o the Montreal Tramways, which stated that he knew who had killed Nellie from what he had seen in Haynes Park Wood, and that the person involved was currently in Montreal. These letters were sent on to the CID in London. The “confession” letter in the News of the World received much public attention because the facts in it tied in with what was known about Nellie’s death. The writer said he was a married man with a wife in America, and was an American army deserter who had been working at Shorts Brothers Aircraft factory at Cardington in Bedfordshire at the time of Nellie’s death. However none of the people from Shorts whom the police interviewed could identify “Frenchy”, though a letter to the News of the World, which was passed on to the CID, named him as Leroy Morey of Illinois. A Corporal Atkins of the RE was also investigated after allegations were made against him, and there were further enquiries in Scotland. Despite all this no-one was charged with Nellie’s murder, and who killed her and why remains unknown nearly a century on.
Nellie is buried in St Mary’s Churchyard, Haynes, near where the camp used to be. A stone cross with the words “In loving memory of 20425 Member Nellie Rault, WL & QMAAC, age 21, died May 9th 1919. Erected by her fellow workers in QMAAC, Officers, WO, NCOs and men of Haynes Park Signal Depot, RE. “In the midst of life we are in death” marks her grave. This is one of three headstones maintained in perpetuity here by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, who recognised that Nellie was a casualty of war. Nellie’s headstone in St Mary’s Churchyard, Haynes Park.
Nellie Rault’s ‘Death Penny’ One of less than 800 awarded to women. (Courtesy of Stuart Elliott) Hepburn continued with his military career until his death in 1943, at the age of 54. By this time he had been promoted to Captain (QM) with the Royal Corps of Signals. He had served in India in the 1920s, and had been awarded the Indian General Service medal, with clasps for service in Waziristan from 1919 to 1921 and 1921 to 1924, and Mahsud from1919 to1920. He died during the Second World War is and is buried in Streatham Park Cemetery, London, where his grave bears a standard CWGC headstone. Captain Hepburn’s Headstone at Streatham Park Cemetery.
Conclusion – This case requires further investigation.
Another night, another LPS investigation with unexpected moments. This time LPS members were on the trail of Lady Snagg who met an unfortunate end when she lost her head literally while racing to see her lover at the hands of rogues who had placed a rope across the road intending to only knock her off the horse. Even so as the lifeless body lay there it did not stop the rogues from robbing the body of jewellery and whatever else they could find.
Luckily for them they did not run into a man in full army camouflage carrying a high powered rifle with a silencer at the end which is what happened to the LPS Team. Thankfully although the man was on a hunt he was looking for foxes and not paranormal investigators.
The team having already walked wood end lane made their way to Holcotwood farm ruins which lies just at the edge of Reynolds Woods. LPS had investigated this location in 2010 with some success, however Mother Nature made sure LPS would not do so again due to all the tree and foliage in the area.
The team then returned to the site of a pond which lies on the northern edge of the woods and on the path Lady Snagg would have passed to reach wood end lane. Here the team conducted a séance during which a hand size light sphere was seen behind two members of the team in the circle before disappearing. LPS conducted a number of other experiments in the area before moving back to wood end lane itself.
At wood end the team undertook to using dowsing rods to make contact with some success before the area went quiet. With the attendance of new LPS members on the night it was overall a very productive investigation if a little muddy and wet. Strangely enough as so much was going on there was less emphasis on new technology and a approach to more traditional methods…..
Bromham Mill stands occupies a location next to the Great River Ouse where it is thought a mill is likely to have stood from Saxon times where no bridge existed as does today. For much of its history the mill belonged to the Manor or Bromham and from medieval times would have ground the lord’s grain whilst his tenants would have been obliged to have their grain milled there for a charge (multure).
Commercial operations only developed from the post medieval period into the 20th century when in the hands of the Quenby Family though little milling was done there after the 1930’s and by 1971 none was done at all. By 1973 the building was dilapidated and to secure its future it was brought by Bedfordshire County Council. However in 1974 it was damaged by fire (this is relevant to the LPS investigation). But subsequent restoration enabled the mill to be opened to the public in 1983.
For further information please visit http://friendsofbromhammill.org.uk/history/
Thus it was on Friday 8th September 2017 that Luton Paranormal Society became the first paranormal group to fully investigate Bromham Mill. Starting with a pre investigation tour of the building which in itself was notable for when members had reached the landing of the second floor when two of the group instantly sensed the smell of burning wood which not everybody did. (See above reference to a fire which at the time was completely unknown to the group).
The investigation itself started in a rest area outside the building with a séance. During which a female spirit was sensed coming up from the nearby river. Subsequence research by LPS found that a woman had indeed drowned near the mill wheel in 1247 (Beds archives and record service).
During a second séance by the group on the second floor members of the team heard voices from another group of people at the far end of the same floor. Whilst another member heard the sound of heavy footsteps coming up the wooden stairs on more than one occasion and when she investigated no one was there. Different coloured lights were seen on the walls and ceilings that could not be debunked as car headlights. While downstairs a black shape was seen going across one room. Different EVP was picked up along with a number of names. Towards the end of the evening staff talked about their experiences while working at the mill.
Once again LPS made the short trip down the road to Leavesden Cemetery looking for evidence of the paranormal.
Jack the Ripper ?
Infamous for one particular occupant Aaron Kosminski who was admitted to Leavesden Asylum on 19th April 1894. Evidence suggested that he had been mentally unwell since 1885 and his insanity took the form of auditory hallucinations and a fear of being fed by other people. However Aaron Kosminski is infamous because he was suspected of being “Jack the Ripper” but this was never proven.
Many of the graves are unmarked and sunken and we will never know who is buried here apart from a few headstones of a later period that do remain. This cemetery is located down East Lane and is one of two cemeteries that were in the area.
Once again the cemetery provided to members present explainable activity that made for an interesting evening under a full moon. Some members heard their names being called by persons unseen and the team experienced cold spots in certain areas of the cemetery.
The name Paul was continually picked up and a sense that some buried in the cemetery were the victims of sexual abuse. Another name that came up repeatedly was Geoffrey while the Olvius three came up with Demon. While undertaking an Olvius three experiment and trying to contact a female spirit that was sensed nearby. The Olivus three came out with “She died”.
While the team did not find the grave of Aaron Kosminski probably due to the high leave of foliage everywhere at this time of the year. The Cemetery did not fail to disappoint.
Grand Union Canal at Gubblecote
The Investigation site of the Grand Union Canal has no paranormal history. There are no recorded sightings of hauntings and no one but LPS has ever investigated this location which is in the middle of nowhere.
The LPS Investigation at Wilden on 07.04.2017 is the location of a haunted Farmhouse where apparitions, have been seen and stones have been thrown at passers-by unseen hands. Taxi drivers cars behaving badly with no engines switched on. Legend tells how a witch was burnt to death on the road nearby and a ghostly fire appears and then puts itself out.
However, whether you are doing an indoor investigation or an outdoor investigation that is steeped in local legends and it a reputedly haunted location sometimes the result can be the same – nothing. On this occasion the cemetery was dead quiet, no sign of apparitions or witches or even the ghostly fire and definitely no stones being thrown at the team by unseen hands.
For a small village there was also no sign of life either apart from one dog and a person and the local pub was shut so no spirits in there either. lastly is was also a very cold night with a clear sky just ripe for some UFO spotting. But all the team observed was a satellite flying overhead which was very bright …. or was it a satellite we will never know !!!!
Despite being Hertfordshire’s most notorious haunted location and the scene of a number of LPS investigations over the years that have resulted in a full blown apparition of a Victorian girl being observed running out of the main gate by a startled film crew investigating with LPS.
This evening the church area itself was a lot quieter and the team were restricted to a bride with black hair and wearing her wedding dress who repeatedly runs out of the church itself down to the main gates and disappears out into the road with her mascara running down her face and a Paster who stands by the main gate but is not connected to the bride.
However the path that runs to a nearby unnamed road was not so quiet with a spirit of a man with a cap who followed the team to the nearby road at which point a member of the team felt as if he had been punched in the chest. The man with the cap did not follow the team onto the road which was probably just as well.
Once on the road members of the experienced an old style coach and horses going uphill towards the church at fast speed. The coach contained two men one of whom was a farmhand and the other was felt to be a rich person. Moments later this coach would return down the lane containing woman and both of the men. The coach was heading towards the nearby Mardleybury Pond. This incident was described by the members who could see it as a residual viewing and being replayed over and over again.
Therefore it made sense for the team to then head down to Mardleybury pond where it is known that in past times a woman was killed when a coach she was travelling in crash into the pond because it was going to fast downhill to go around the corner at the bottom of the hill. On the way back to the church where the team had parked up the spirit of the man with the cloth cap was again encountered sitting on one of the chairs waiting for the team to return and then he followed the team back to the churchyard.
Past LPS investigations at this location have resulted in a woman’s voice on EVP being heard calling for help. One this occasion the team encountered a number of cars that were going too fast for this particular road and it would seem that somethings do not change. Although the cars were a distraction as the team did not want to get run over. Members of the team still felt that at the bottom of this pond were some of the remains of the actual carriage itself.
Summing up it was an eventful evening in most places except the church area itself which was very quiet.
St John Church Boughton
Boughton is a village just north of Northampton. But less than a mile to the east everything lays the original site of Boughton and here you will find the ruins of the church of St John.
The Victoria County History described it thus in 1937:
The ruins of the old church of ST. JOHN stand to the north-east of Boughton Green on a site which falls from west to east. The building consisted of chancel, north chapel, nave, and west tower with spire and was of 14th-century date, but the remains have long been neglected and are undergoing a gradual process of disintegration by the agency of weather and the unchecked growth of ivy. The site is thickly overgrown and at the west end is a confused mass of rubble, broken gravestones, brambles, and nettles. Where the walls stand to any height their architectural features are generally hidden by ivy. Bridges, early in the 18th century, described the building as then ‘in ruins, without a roof, the walls in several parts levelled with the ground’, (but the tower and spire stood till about 1785.
But things were worse in the 16th century:
The rabbits invaded the churchyard itself, making the place so dangerous that the inhabitants were afraid to go to mass for fear of breaking their necks. It was said that the bones dug up by the conies would fill a scuttle and ‘that a man can go skantly in a corner of yt but he shall fynde it full of dead mennes bones, a thing most pytyous to be seen’. One of the parishioners stated that a ‘great number of conyes have so underminded the church yarde of Bouckton that it wold abhorre any Crystiane manys harte in the world to see it’.
Today the ruins are picturesque, but the steeply sloping churchyard makes it difficult to explore and there are disconcertingly recent burials. There is also a spring issuing from beneath the east wall of the ruined chancel, making one think that this must be an ancient site whose sacredness predates Christianity. St John Church also has the reputation of being the most haunted site in Northamptonshire.
Two hundred years ago it is alleged that a young couple who had been married only a few hours when the groom dropped dead. Grief stricken and unable to live without her love, the young lady ended her own life next to her husband’s grave.
And it continues:
Following on from the tale of the doomed newly weds, the most famous ghost is said to be that of a beautiful red haired woman. She entices male passers by, and asks for a kiss. Be warned, for the legend follows that if you receive a kiss from this young woman, you will come to your death exactly a month after.
This is said to be the fate of William Parker. He was passing by the churchyard on Christmas Eve in 1875 when he met a beautiful red haired girl. She invited him to sit with her for a while. After saying farewell, the young woman vanished and sure enough, William died exactly one month later, to the day.
Again, on Christmas Eve, a moaning spirit makes his presence known. It is believed to be the spirit of Captain Slash, but why would he haunt the churchyard? Perhaps he is in search of the other members of his gang, ready to patrol the highways once more.
The spirits of children have been reportedly seen amongst the grave stones. There is evidence that several children are buried on the site. A figure of a woman in white robes, and a headless man have also been seen.
For further information please reference;
Paranormal Investigators began the investigation with a Victorian sing song and much laughter and hilarity which resulted in the ghost of a number of ghostly children being observed by mediums present standing nearby giggling along with the group.
Much has been said about Victorian Séances using singing as a tool to entice paranormal activity and this was no different with the spirit of a woman who was swaying standing behind the male members of the group as she was interested in attracting males. Was this the spirit of the red haired woman? We do not know but thankfully she did not kiss anyone. Another male spirit observed the group from outside the ruins as he had no been allowed into the church in life and did not enter it even in death.
After the séance he group moved to a far corner the graveyard to a grave of a wealthy landowner who when alive owned the land where the cemetery was. It was known that this was an angry spirit who should not be provoked.
No surprise then that when one of the investigators who was sat on his camping chair next to the grave of the landowner shouted out to this male spirit that he was going to buy up the land and built a badly designed house. The seat promptly collapsed under him leaving him lying flat on his back. Further to this a voice came through an echovox with the words “Bastard” a number of times.
Was this the ghost exacting revenge or had the chair finally gave up the ghost? Who knows but one thing for sure further investigation is required at this location.
Sub Zero Temperatures, A clear sky and a full moon. Tales of legends such as werewolves and long dead villagers who could change shape into any form they wanted could not deter the Luton Paranormal Society from undertaking a fourth investigation at this site.
Despite having a plan for the investigation this was thrown out when during the séance the team were visited by the spirit of a woman called Lisa. EMF meters around the building and other specialised equipment being used by the team were constantly coming on to the full readings. Other possible reasons non paranormal was explored and ruled out as Lisa moved and stood behind various members of the team making her presence felt.
Communication with Lisa took place through using lights displays for right or wrong answers and so Lisa story unfolded. She had worked as Librarian and was about 5 foot five with blonde hair. She had taken her own life sometime between 2010 to 2014 by taking and overdose of tablets for depression. When asked if she had been emotionally abused all of the equipment lights shot up to the top of the range reading.
Some of the members who were mediums also picked up that she was wearing a white nightie and had shoulder length hair and had not taken the tables in order to kill herself but as a desperate cry for help. She was warm and friendly but also her story was sad and enough to physically upset some members of the team.
So why was she grounded at the church ? Lisa liked to walk around the area to find peace away from her troubles and was unable to move on. The team did try to help Lisa move on but she was afraid to take that step and so remains at the church.
The team did encounter a male spirit called John who literally passed through the team and was gone as quickly as he had come.
So on a bitterly cold night and a full moon there was no howling and the local werewolf failed to show up. However a modern story emerged that sadly is not uncommon today…….
A night when close co-operation by three paranormal groups namely LPS, MVPI and Unity Paranormal paid off once again like it had earlier in the year when these same groups had investigated Grendon Hall together.
LPS members encountered a whole room full of spirit activity where Glenn Miller music was playing quietly in the background and then the famous Glenn Miller track in the mood came on. Some members commented that the room was suddenly full of people dancing in 1940,s clothing and one members was even invited by a spirit to dance with her. Then the song ended and the spirits were gone.
This was described as watching a replay on TV that you are part of and then it just went. However an experiment was conducted where the song was played again and to the astonishment of people present the recording of these people dancing was played out again. This is known as a residual haunting or could event be described as a stone tape recording.
Other activity included a large orb goes past a bookshelf (see video) and a man called Jim in one of the outer buildings.
Ampthill Park is said to be haunted by the ghost of a knight in full armour on a white horse that appears on occasion coming from Katherine’s Cross which marks the place where Ampthill Castle once stood. One such sighting was by a policeman in 1965. The policeman saw the knight appear from where Ampthill castle once stood and then ride off in the direction of the nearby brook disappearing into the night. It is alleged that this knight has also been seen along Woburn Road. The apparition was also seen by soldiers in the park from the nearby barracks descending down the hill.
The Purpose of this investigation was to visit part of the park last year where the team had previously encountered the spirit of a young girl.
During this investigation a on /off switch on the camcorder physically turned itself to the off position shutting the camcorder down and the spirit of the young girl briefly appeared and then disappeared.
Ann Noblett Unsolved Murder 30.12.1957
Background – Murder most foul – The Murder of Ann Noblett is unsolved and remains a mystery to this day despite a police investigation at the time that failed to find the culprit responsible. Ann Noblett was just seventeen years of age and lived in Batford in a road called Marshall Heath Lane. Ann was described as a quiet girl who loved to just live at home.
On the night of her murder Ann had been to Lourdes Hall in Harpenden for Rock’n’Roll Lessons which were very popular at the time. It was six o clock on the evening of 30th December 1957 when Ann got off the local bus on her way home. The lane was dark and very quiet except for a scooter being ridden by local girl Shirley Edwards who passed Ann by as she would later state to the police. This would be the last time that Ann would be seen alive. Ann Nobletts Frozen body was found in Rose Grove Wood some seven miles away and almost a month later.
The motive appears to have been sexual as the police found that some of her clothing had been removed. The post mortem showed that death by strangulation occurred shortly after Ann had disappeared and that food Ann had eaten that day was still undigested in her stomach.
However the location of where she was killed remained a mystery as was how her lifeless body had been carried into the wood itself. Another mystery for the police was to ascertain if Ann knew the driver of the car and had got into the car of her own free will or if she had been abducted by force and then taken to a mystery location.
Ann’s lifeless body was discovered by Leading Airman Hugh Symonds of the RAF. Ann’s body was not visible form the lane itself, but lay about 20 yards inside the woods as though asleep. This in itself would not have been strange except for the fact that the police had searched this area of the woods sometime on New Years Eve along with 300 local people and Scotland Yards finest without success.
Anns body was frozen not to be unexpected for December. But December 1957 was a exceptionally mild winter and it appeared to the police that she had been hidden away in a deep freezer. Henceforth this case would forever be known as the “Deep Freeze Murder”. Unlike today not many homes had a deep freezer at that time so police conducted searches of homes and businesses known to have a deep freezer and again draw a blank.
People who live in Marshalls Heath told police that on the day that Ann disappeared they had noticed a black car being driven by a middle aged man wearing horn rimmed spectacles. After the murder neither the man nor the car were ever seen again. Police then contacted weathermen about the weather for that day and called biology experts to look at plant growth under the body which led to the result that plan growth under the body was two weeks shorter than plant growth around the body. This is crucial l as surely the body would have thawed over two weeks
Police also suspected local residents as the person may have had to now the local area and then it would require strength to carry Ann form the lane to the wooded area as Ann weighed over eleven stones. Police also found that Ann who was fully clothed when found had in fact been stripped naked and re-dressed by the killer. Further to this
When Ann Noblett’s lifeless body was discovered in Rose Grove Wood, also found were a number of coins from her purse, amounting to thirty shillings (£1.50). Had the killer deliberately placed them there to suggest Ann had lost no property? – a cunning act in times when the death penalty had been abolished, except for murder in certain circumstances, including the furtherance of theft. For, if her killer was caught and could prove he had not stolen anything, he would not hang. Better if he could prove he had raped and murdered Ann, rather than robbed her, an offence, however unjustly, not carrying the death penalty. The coins were examined for fingerprints, but seemingly none were found.
As a result of this murder local residents demanded street lights for Marshalls Heath and they were installed and serve as testimony to this tragic event. Anne (and her family) are buried in the main Anglican Church in the centre of town. Ignore the path leading across left up to the church itself but go straight on into the graveyard via the lower entrance and walk along with the bottom wall on your right. After about 50 yards Anne`s grave and family lie on the right at the end of that section. There are two of them are laying side by side. On her grave there is no mention as to how she died i.e. murdered. The police report said that she was suffocated.
Paranormal Background – In 1974 a pig farm reported paranormal activity of doors locking and unlocking by themselves and a solid figure of a girl was seen by a worker playing in a corner of the barn area. When the worker approached to speak to the girl she simply vanished into thin air.
A séance was held in 2000 where it is widely believed by those present that the spirit of Ann Noblett made contact who named the killer as a man who at the time was still alive and worked at Whipsnade Zoo.
Pre-Investigation information – It is important to acknowledge that apart from Andy F no other member of LPS had any knowledge or information about this murder.
Marshall Heath Lane – Séance held
Andy G feels that a black Car is parked on the road just before the houses on a grassy area. Andy G feels that the girl he is picking up is wearing a red jumper and a black skirt. Lee F observes a figure seen near one of the tree in the trees like a small flash of light. Charlotte observes a shadowed figure peeking out from behind a different tree that was a few metres away from the group, this shadow figure was very wary of the investigators and kept peeking its head in and out of the tree.
Rose Grove woods – Due to the overgrowth access into the woods is very difficult. However the team stop at a spot where the sensitive members feel that that area feels different to the rest of the woods.
Séance held – Andy G feels that there is spot in the woods that does like feel like the rest of the wood.
Paranormal Experiment – The team use a Echovox and the first word that came out was Grave which was relevant and then Rose which considering where the team were standing in Rose Grove woods was again relevant. The team then use and Olivus three and the name Murry came out followed by the words Found and Hallow then Business and property. All produced strong signal strength and the final word was pendent which promoted the team to look for a pendent in the undergrowth without success.
St Helens Church – Visit to Ann Noblett grave. At the grave itself Andy F along with other members of the team felt an intense sadness at the graveside. Photographs were taken of Andy F next to the grave that contained orbs.
Analysis – Why did LPS investigate this murder? – LPS took a decision to investigate this unsolved murder in the hope that we could shed some light on this murder since the police were unable to do this. We were also contacted by someone who was a local resident at the time of the murder for whom we are extremely grateful for the information he gave us to help us investigate this murder although it worth pointing out he was just 15 at the time and has had an interest in this all his life.
Upon reflection whilst we were also unable to ascertain who the murderer was as well. We did pick up on the black car and it would be worth know what the colour of her clothes were on the day of the murder was it a red top and a black dress?
Without doubt the atmosphere around Ann Noblett grave is one of the saddest I have ever encountered in 13 years of paranormal investigation – Andrew Fazekas
In addition to the above
A good turnout of LPS members made the long journey to investigate all of the legends and myths only to uncover more spiritual activity in the churchyard of two young children a boy who keeps crying and a young girl both of whom were picked up in far corner of the cemetery where the rubbish is dumped from the graves.
The ghost of Henry Burghersh, 14th-century Bishop of Lincoln, is reputed to haunt the area. The Green Forester or Green Man of Fingest is said to have reputedly haunted the churchyard of the Norman St Batholomews and Chequers Lane as he walks between the site of the old manor house and the church.
There seems to have been some conjecture as to whether the Bishop Burghesh’s ghost was successfully exorcised with the land being being made available to villagers once more and suggestions that this repentant bishop was somehow morphed if only in folklore into a ‘Green Man’ figure common in pagan traditions.
Another member sensed someone walking with bare and dirty feet covered in dry dirt and a horse and carriage were also sensed in Chequers lane.
A phantom Black Dog is said to haunt Fingest Lane between the village of Fingest and Skirmett. Sadly despite a long walk the dog was nowhere to be seen.
An angry spirit of a man of the cloth who still walks the cemetery of the church in Elstow. The spirit of a woman and a young child who is afraid of the angry man of the cloth and even in death he still prevents her from doing what she wants. A black figure seen by a member walking along side of the church tower wall and a figure that the team were unable to debunk.
Bright spheres caught on camera and through the investigation some team members experiencing the presences of things unseen by the human eye and on a night of paranormal activity that can only be Elstow.
It is not surprising that the legend of the Devil’s Jump-stone should belong to Bedfordshire, home of the most famous Puritan author, John Bunyan, given that the story is a grave warning against sport on the Sabbath – his own epiphany came one Sunday when he was playing not praying.
In a field near the village there is an ancient stone. One Sunday the devil, who was busily engaged in trying to carry off the church tower – explaining why it’s separate from the main body of the church – noticed that three young lads were in that field playing at leapfrog instead of observing the holy day in a more fit and proper manner. Recognizing the chance to add to his stock of souls Satan sprang down to join their game, alighting on the stone itself. The foolish lads were tricked by him making a back for them to jump over, and one by one they took up the challenge, leaping over the stranger. But rather than land on the earth beyond him, they found that a gaping hole leading straight to hell had opened up, and all three plunged down it to eternal damnation. The hole closed above them, and all that was left to tell the tale was the Devil’s Jump-stone – and the church tower that old Nick had shifted before finding more fruitful sport
English Civil War
During a Civil War skirmish, the cavaliers retreated into a tunnel that led from the church to the rectory. Rather than follow them in, roundhead troops sealed both ends of the tunnel. The trapped cavaliers slowly died and the last sounds heard were of the drummer boy beating his drum. His instrument is supposed to be still heard beating in the village on windy days.
Luton Paranormal Society had not investigated at his location since around 2004 in its infancy. Now with the added use of a thermal imaging camera on a LPS investigation for the first time hopes of finding paranormal activity were high.
During this investigation members did hear sounds of movement coming from inside the tower while stood by the tower door which for one member seemed to be in a state of constant vibration. The church cat also put in an appearance startling another member as it sat by the graves.
Most members felt that the rear of the church seemed to be the most unsettling area next to a tree and it was at the this location using various experiments using the Echovox and Olivus Three that a possible spirit named as Alf briefly made himself known through the Echovox. Another name that came up was Talbot.
The area itself felt calm and was in terms of paranormal activity very quiet. However the team are yet to analyse sound recordings for any EVP and who knows we may find that we were not as alone as we thought at the time
In the world of the paranormal the unexpected always seems to happen and so it was for this LPS Investigation at Tilsworth.
The plan for the investigation was to try and uncover more information about a murder that took place in Tilsworth in 1821 and visit the grave of the unknown female murder victim in the local cemetery.
Instead LPS may have accidentally stumbled onto the previously unknown location of a murder victim called “Dorothy Spires” who was born in Dunstable in 1933 and worked locally as a hairdresser until she was strangled by a large male who had a tooth missing and placed in a large bag and then buried at a location in Tilsworth during 1953.
And this is where you the members of the public could become involved in helping us to solve this mystery. If you have any knowledge of a person called Dorothy with a date of birth of 1933 who worked locally as a hairdresser and then disappeared please do send the information to us because while we were in contact with Dorothy she was asking for justice and help.
Of course we have no proof that Dorothy ever existed or that her body is still buried at the location we found unless we go there and dig it up. But would you want to miss an opportunity to discover more and maybe even help to lay a lost soul to rest……
A feeling of sadness hangs over Leavesden cemetery as a result of many years of abuse by people who were placed away from society because of mental health issues were treated as not human and experimented on in ways that Hollywood could not even imagine sometimes horrifically.
Even Death has not given many of these poor souls a release from the pain and cruelty they suffered at the hands of so called experts where even being a single mother could place you in an institution.
Hidden away in life and hidden away in death from society these poor souls rest in unmarked and sunken graves and no one knows who they are and no one cares who they are except for one person in particular who is alleged to be buried at the site and is linked to the infamous “Jack the Ripper” Murders of 1888.
Despite being on the doorstep of LPS this was the society’s first investigation at this location and a very interesting investigation this would prove to be. Two figures on wearing reed and another wearing blue were seen moving around the perimeter of the cemetery at the start of the night but upon investigation no one could be found. An old man seen by the group wandering near some unmarked graves who was there one minute and gone the next.
Another member who was physically pulled backwards by his arm by an unseen force and the Name Jim first coming up on the echovox and then second later coming up on the Olivus three and then the team discovering the grave they were located at having the name Jams inscribed on it. One of the very few gravestone standing in the area. The team were constantly being watched by a large number of spirits at this site and many attempts were made to communicate with them.
Film of the investigation and EVP along with full reports containing so much more to come shortly but based on what took place last night this site is worthy of further investigation by LPS
LPS Members encountered a plethora of paranormal activity when they investigated at Willington. On this occasion it was decided to use two teams, one team would use technology and the other team would simply use themselves to make contact
The techno Bots team as they were nick named spent time behind the Dovecote. They used a Echovox on his tablet and another member listened briefly to an SB7. The number 21 was said three times within two minutes of each other. The team then heard the words ‘very spooky’ come from the SB7.
Then the Echovox went absolutely crazy starting with slight interference building up to constant high pitched squealing. The group switched it off and rebooted it. At this point another member hear the words “five minutes” on the SB7.
One team member asked how many people were sat there on stools. The Echovox replied ‘three’ which was correct. The same member asked the Echovox whether ‘they’ liked them being there and it replied ‘yes’. After asking for confirmation, it confirmed with another yes straight away. The team then asked for a ladies name to which it replied ‘Eva’. Later the Echovox said randomly ‘doves’ and when questioned about birds and it said ‘white’.
Meanwhile over at the site of the stables another team of LPS investigators called the mediums were having a discussion with a man from 1643 called the “Squire” (you can find the audio recording for this by visiting our website and going to the EVP page where you can listen to events as they happened).
Turns out the squire was trying to warn a group of royalists that a group of parliamentarians were approaching the area looking for the group of royalists. The squire was none too happy at finding out a member of this LPS team had republican links as well and stated the member was “going to hell with Satan”. Though, he did calm down after the pleas rites were exchanged.
The teams then swapped locations and the Technobots at the location of the stables with the Echovox said ‘help me’ spontaneously but wouldn’t answer further.
It also told the group ‘I’ve seen them’ but wouldn’t elaborate on this. When asked for a name it said ‘Edward’. During the period of time the group were outside the stable doors, they reported they were told numerous times by the Echovox to ‘leave’ and the number 90 was given out several times also. During both vigils a K2 was used with no activity to report.
Meanwhile over at the Dovecote site the Medium team were having a brief conversation with the former wife of a vicar from the mid 1700’s who use to come and sit and watch the birds as time away from her husband the vicar.
She was never buried at the location as her husband got a bigger parish and moved away but she always loved this spot by the Dovecote. She use to make tapestries to hang up who knows there may even be some still around in the local church which produced no activity on the night
Everyone agreed it was a lovely site with easy access and agreed it warranted another visit in the future.
if you go to the EVP page you can listen to an audio of events as they happened and some disembodied voices picked up on the night at the stables. Is this the Squire? You decide …..
Tales of legends such as werewolves and long dead villagers who could change shape into any form they wanted and even a close appearance from the planet Mars could not deter the Luton Paranormal Society from undertaking a third investigation at this site.
Much has changed to the area since LPS last investigated the area in 2008. Gone are the cattle grids and the long walk to the site although some members did choose to do this. Now there are footpaths and new fences and wooden gates and clearly an effort has been made to make the area more accessible to those who enjoy the countryside walks and horse riding.
But enough of these pastimes LPS was there for a paranormal investigation not only at the church itself but also the area where the village was supposedly buried. Sadly the large tree that used to be part of this location has long since been burned down leaving only charred remains.
LPS members were split into two teams one of whom captured an orb in the village area in daylight. During the investigation another member who was sat in the Chancel area of the church facing the Nave doorway. When he sensed something was there with him in this area. This experience caused him to go and find another member of the team to return together and see if they could pick up anything further. But nothing was found.
One of the experiments used on the night was to place the Olivus 3 and a sound recorder into a opening in the wall of the church and leave it running with no human intervention and see what words if any it produced
So far early results have the words in this order and some words that did not appear to be in English at all so in order to ascertain this further we have sent the recording off to analysis to get clarification. So far the words on the recording are as follows;
The following words came from the Olivus 3
Anthony – Mathew – Inhuman – general – Ride- Seat – Sting – Table – Send – Gilgamesh – Thomas – Torrid – Tom Hat –summaries – count – Cattle – Tom Hound – Hat – Hat (again)– Hound – Rabid – Dig – erect – men – ferment – cloth – hide – ten – clean – mothman – tell – Tom penny – Talking – (two members are then heard talking as they come into the area) – hide – invader
Roll Rights Ancient Stone Circle
The Rollright Stones is a ancient site located on the Oxfordshire/Warwickshire border in England. The complex consists of three main elements, The Kings Men stone circle, the King Stone, and the Whispering Knights.The name “Rollright” is believed to derive from “Hrolla-landriht”, the land of Hrolla.
The Kings Men
At present there are 77 stones of heavily weathered local oolitic limestone, which were poetically described by William Stukeley as being “corroded like worm eaten wood, by the harsh Jaws of Time”, which made “a very noble, rustic, sight, and strike an odd terror upon the spectators, and admiration at the design of ‘em”.
Aubrey Burl has, in a more down to earth way, called the Rollrights “seventy-seven stones, stumps and lumps of leprous limestone”. This number seems to have altered considerably over the years – drawings from the tail-end of the 19th century, just before the Stones were scheduled under the 1882 Ancient Monuments Protection Act along with Stonehenge and Avebury, show about 25 stones in the Circle. “In the year 1882 the proprietor of Little Rollright replaced all the fallen stones in their original foundation.”
The Rollright Stone Circle is the southerly cousin of the Cumbrian circles such as Swinside and Long Meg and her Daughters in the English Lake District. Family traits include similar size, shape, close-set stones (it is believed that there originally some 105 stones standing shoulder to shoulder), astronomically-aligned entrance and a pair of outlying portals where gates were hung to stop the sheep from straying into the road.
The King Stone
Its purpose and age are unclear, although it is believed to be of middle Bronze Age origin. Some sources suggest that it might be an outlier to the Stone Circle.
The strange shape (likened to a seal balancing a ball on its nose) of this standing stone has less to do with the weathering effects of nature than with the destructive habit of 19th century drovers who chipped off small pieces to act as lucky charms and keep the Devil at bay. Thankfully this superstitious vandalism no longer goes on.
The Whispering Knights Dolmen
The 5000 year old burial chamber, believed to be part of a Neolithic long barrow . The Knights are a small group of five upright stones 400 yards away from the actual Stone Circle, who got their name because of the conspiratorial way in which they lean inwards towards each other as if they are plotting against their king.
This was the third investigation by the Luton Paranormal Society at this location having investigated previously in 2008 and the stick man incident in 2011.
In 2011 a LPS investigator was making his way along the path from the Whispering Knights to the Kings men stone circle when he approach the corner of the pathway he could observe coming the other way down the path a Black Figure walking along the path which this investigator presumed was another investigator who was known for wearing long black leather coats.
Unfortunately the investigator observing the figure was making his own way along the path and so had no equipment on as his was not expecting to see anything at that time. He could observe he figures arms and legs motions as you would expect with anyone walking.
However when he drew closer he observe that the figure appeared to be two dimensional and had no face and any other features including clothes it was completely black.
Black stick men are just that…walking stick figures, the kind you would draw as a child, The figures have been described as unusually tall, black in appearance, lacking any facial or bodily features and very lean which is how this figure was described at this time.
Since both were coming along the path towards each other they should have met. However to the investigators astonishment the figure turned left and went through some bushes. When the investigator reached the same spot he found that there was a high metal fence in the bushes making access to get through impossible.
It was then with some anticipation that the same investigator tried to repeat the previous conditions that lead to that strange encounter. Unfortunately on this occasion despite being called out the Black Stick Figure did not show up. However some high energy readings were observed in that location during the investigation.
One LPS member experienced equipment that would not work within the Kings men circle itself, but started working when she took it out of the circle. This was repeated three time with the same results.
Other members in the circle used an echo box with correct answers to questions coming back to the team and when the team, asked the name of one of the members. Everyone heard the correct name mentioned.
Lastly at midnight a full moon appeared over the team as they sat talking in the middle of the circle which to some felt very calming and relaxing.
LPS celebrated 13 years of Paranormal Investigation holding an investigation at Derby Gaol. This was the second investigation that LPS had conducted at the Gaol the first having taken place on 9th April 2005. Much had changed since then not just to the Gaol itself but also to two other added locations at Vernon gate in access to a Martello tower and the hanging room.
The old “Derby Gaol” can be found under numbers 50 and 51 Friargate in Derby. It is said to be one of the most haunted spots in the country. The jail (“gaol” is an old-fashioned variant of the word) was used between 1756 and 1828 and was originally (it’s believed) two separate cell blocks – in fact, it’s thought the facilities could continue under neighbouring properties, too). It is now a museum and much of the jail has been restored to its former condition.
The Vernon Street Prison served as the County Gaol from 1843 to 1919, at which time it was demolished. The last public execution at Derby of Richard Thorley for the murder of Eliza Morrow took place here in 1862. From 1919 to 1929 the prison acted as a military prison
While members were standing outside the gaol entrance a ghostly face was caught on camera staring at the group. Another member saw a figure who seemed to have a mask on similar to something made out of cardboard. On entering the building a member had a strong feeling of his neck being pulled very tightly.
During the investigation in the main corridor distinctive whistles were heard inside the building itself during the night and on one occasion a whistle appeared to come from an area in between three members of the group as if an invisible person was stood between them
One member is sat in the police museum in the dark and a light anomaly appears to go up his right shoulder and into his neck. This light anomaly is shape changing in appearance. A number of orbs are caught on film both on the stairs at the Martello tower and the main corridor at Derby goal some are attributed to dust others are less easy to analyse.
A static camera is situated in the main corridor of the Gaol where no one is located and yet loud bangs are head right next to the camera and the sound recorder stops working
A few minutes in and a member has made contact with a spirit. Other members both asked questions. He wasn’t friendly and whenever one member spoke he kept saying “Nag nag nag why don’t you shut up”. He then proceeded to talk about the man he’d stabbed and how he had stabbed another down in London: that his mother was a whore and he didn’t care if he died, that he just wanted to be left alone. After a few questions one member said well at least you can’t hurt anyone else now and he said “you wanna bet” and the member who had become possessed began to pump his fists at which point other members in the cell had to call for assistance.
Probably the weirdest incident came at the end of the night when a member was standing on one side of the bar talking to the museum curator and on the bar inbetween them was a bottle of water. At the end of the conversation the member went to pick up the bottle and it was gone. A search was made including the dustbins and the bottle was never found and even now it is still reported as missing …….
Mentioned in the Doomsday book as being held by King William, the Chapel at Minsden has the history and ingredients that make the site attractive for paranormal groups and historical buffs to visit despite the local farmer’s effort to prevent access.
When the Luton Paranormal Society first visited in 2003 there was certainly more of the chapel standing than can be seen these days even with the large amount of overgrowth that covers the site.
The Chapel itself is alleged to be haunted by a monk which was photographed in 1907 although some sources claim that this was a fake photograph. However History does note one interesting story in that of Reginald Hine a local historian who vowed to protect Minsden Chapel such was the effect it had on him. Sadly in 1949 Reginald committed suicide at Nearby Hitchin Station when he calmly stepping in front of a coming train.
Fast forward to 2016 and the fourth investigation at the site by LPS, on this occasion the investigation began with a séance which invoked the presence of two monks who spoke in Latin. Fortunately we had a member of the group who did speak some Latin and was able to speak one or two Latin verses which initially got the attention of the two monks inside the chapel but nothing further happened.
LPS then tried using the Olivus three and some EVP experiment without any real significance of paranormal activity. The group than moved to a small wooded area
around the back of the chapel, to the back wall with the small hole for a window as one member was picking up a message that the group should not venture there. The atmosphere in this area was very still and static feeling hanging in the air and nothing seemed to move. A benin presence was felt in this area and the group felt that this was nothing to do with the site but the presence may have been left as the result of someone messing about with an Ouija board or a dark ritual. Members experienced feeling hot and cold in different areas here but the presence did not try to make contact with the group.
Lastly the group split into two areas and while one group stayed outside the rear of the chapel another group conducted a silent vigil within the chapel both resulted in no further activity.
LPS have visited this site four times since 2003 and whilst the previous visits have been paranormally active it was not so on this occasion however the one constant in all four visits has been the creepy feeling one gets of being watched by something dark and evil when outside in the wooded area at the rear of the chapel. As the nursery rhythm goes.. “if you go down to the woods today you are sure of a big surprise” …………
Staff have reported strange figures and have refused to enter rooms in this building and the ghost of a gardener is said to haunt this property.
Luton Paranormal Society and Marston Vale Paranormal Investigation along with a guest group form Norfolk had an opportunity to become the first paranormal groups ever to investigate this building.
During the investigation Shadow people were observed, temperature drops were experienced all over the building. Toilets flushed by themselves with no one near them. A shower that had not been on was observed to be in a state of having just been used.
A team making their way off the first floor on the front staircase all heard a clear female voice say “WOO HOO”. All three members of the team confirmed that they had heard this independently and then heard a male voice go “whoa”. Another team heard footsteps coming along a corridor, but it was empty.
Get Out is heard from the Spirit Box. About two minutes later, Go On is heard. A Pendulum begins moving by itself. The pendulum is placed on an end table by the first of the two beds.
EMF meters went crazy all over the building sometimes at the same time. Orbs were captured on film and you can view these for yourself on the LPS website site, You Tube site and Facebook
An Ovilus came up with a name ‘PAUL’, an a pendulum gave a confirmatory yes. Team members asked if Paul prayed here and a voice on a ghost box came back as yes to the question and this was confirmed by another team member who was using a pendulum also got a yes to pray. Another question was asked if the spirit injured during the war and Olivus came up with country and the pendulum answered yes and then the rank of General came up on the Olivus just as as another members asked if he had served in the world war
Elsewhere a team sat on a table for four and carried out a small séance style vigil asking questions. On the far end of the room by the piano all four of the team saw a movement as it blocked the light around the edge of the wooden shutters momentarily, moving toward the piano (left to right) some team members also saw blue lights in between them and the movement.
The Fulmer Haunting is a ghostly black carriage that seems to appear without any explanation or reason. There are no known historical records of a crash and the ghost just seems to appear from time to time. Legend has it that the ghostly carriage begins its ghostly journey south of the village on Framewood Road. Heading north its passes through the village before heading out along Fulmer Road. (Haunted Places of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire, R.Matthews (2004) p95)
Framewood Road Investigation
The team are spread out along the road from the edge of the nearby farm to nearby houses. One member observes a figure wearing a hooded cloak, disappear behind the stone wall. Another member in the same area observes a figure come up the road and pass behind him but when he turn around there is no one there.
Pointer in Compass experiment begins moving erratically on lane. Various tests after this experience, the pointer was calmer and more static and there are no known energy fields around. One member reports walking into energy field, while other members are smelling smoke.
One member feels he could see a black carriage pulled by two black horses seen moving along the lane towards the village. From he could see it would appear out of a mist and driver again all in black didn’t have a face.
One member was standing near the tip of the ford with a flashlight turned on. He looked to a set of trees to the left then back to the ford. Upon returning his eyes to the ford, he suddenly felt my head aching. This was followed by aching arms (Both arms) as if he had carried something heavy and legs feeling like jelly. In addition, he did not feel straight headed and he was panting despite the fact he did not run. All of this led to him losing stability in legs, making him crouch down with face looking at the ground. It felt as if something unseen had drained ninety-nine percent of his energy from my body in a matter of seconds.
Another member noticed him facing the ground and crouched at the tip of the ford. At this time, he did not feel like his usual self and was taken to the cars After what felt like five minutes he member got over the negative feeling and got back to the investigation team.
At the same time another member went over the other side towards the ford she suddenly got a sharp stabbing sharp stabbing pain in the side of her head. It was like somebody had pierced her skull with a knife although this lasted for about 20 seconds and then went.
Everyone felt that this was a good investigation and the Framewood road area was definitely worth another visit
St Lawrence Church Bovingdon 19.02.2016
Although being on the wet side this was quite an enjoyable investigation. Just before we started Andy G was aware of a young lady by the name of Annabelle. She was dressed in white and constantly sobbing. She relayed a sad story of a love triangle in which her lover was killed by her husband.
We walked along a path to an area Andy G felt she is most commonly felt or even seen. She is looking for her lover (name not given) who is buried somewhere in the area. Andy G was then given a vivid picture of herself in a room talking to her love. He has his back to the door.
Suddenly the door opens and her husband rushes in and stabs the man in the back killing him instantly. The husbands name is Captain Edward Rogers. Both men have the same red tunic on as though they were in the same regiment. The year given was 1901. A little time after this she began screaming at me so I let her be on her way.
© [Luton Paranormal Society ]